Salvador Dali in Taipei


This month, we went to the Dali Exhibition in Taipei, 中山紀念堂! Rarely do I actually dedicate this much of my time to getting to know an artist! I've always found it incomprehensible the CROWDING amount of visitors a visiting exhibition can get whenever they come to Taipei. There really are that many people into this stuff? Or is it ... as some people term it ... 假文青. lol.

[via my friend's iPhone!]

But I genuinely enjoyed this one! I vaguely remembered having been to one of his exhibitions loooong long ago. There was a Dali museum in Florida too, but I never got to visit that one. This time's though, I just fell head over heels in love with this guy. 

I may not be able to fully appreciate his craziness or genius, but these are works of art that I'd actually WANT to understand. All the symbolic items that appear in his works ... drawers for sexual desires, canes representing helplessness, and soft watches are the relative time that's undetermined ... or something like that. 

I may not understand every concept the artist is trying to express, but I can sense maybe how the Spanish landscapes have influenced his use of colors filling his paintings. Or at least, that will be forever how I'd picture the country he's from, until I get to visit for myself. Another thing worth noting is, no matter how dreamlike his works depict his surreal mind, they're always WITH a horizon, IN a landscape, with a sky and ground, apparent with a visual perspective, unlike how I'd typically imagine dream scenarios, which would be ungraspable events, people or dreams that float around without meaning, without destination, without form.

[source] [doing my homework before going to see Dali]

a little annoyed though about the fact though, that ... I don't think people actually cared that much about Dali's moustache or any bit of his looks and attire until the end of the exhibition where all these commercial souvenir products sold ... I think it takes a lot more than just a few drawings and sculptures to grasp entirely the sense of madness and genius of this reputable artist. :)

沒有留言:

張貼留言